New Year, new hobby? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Year, new hobby?

Hi from N.E. Ohio. One hobby of mine is getting old and so I need something new for stimulation. With no indoor space for my O scale I got for Christmas of 1958 I thought I would like to convert to an outdoor train. And with young grandkids, they too would like it more than my garden tractors. I'm jumper? and as my name implies I hope to jump in and get involved maybe by spring
jumper? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome Jumper,
There are lots of different ways to approach this hobby.
Unless you already know, ask lots of questions to find the way that you wish to go about it.
Happy New Year,
David Leech, Delta, Canada
David Leech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome jumper?.

You might like to look through this website: https://familygardentrains.com/index.htm especially the intro pages:

https://familygardentrains.com/primer/index.htm#intro

P.S. I have no connection with that website and I don't even know why it exists or is owned by a media company. But it is full of useful info for folks starting in this hobby.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

welcome jumper
a great hobby
Dennis
denray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fun to get outside. Outdoor track for O gauge is made, not sure about 3 rail for track power though. Just a thought. I like 1/32nd scale MTH quite a bit. Code 250 track looks better with the train rather than the Code 332 of Lgb/USA.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Welcome to our world.

Now, what you need to do before you purchase anything is to try and decide what you would like and where you want this to go.

For me, many start using 4 ft diameter curves and low cost steam engines powered by small transformers. I suggest you take aim at where you want your garden railroad to be located and use the largest diameter curves as possible. Steam engines, especially the lower cost ones may say they can operate on 4 foot diameter curves, but they really run rather poorly on them The bigger the diameter, the better locomotives will run. Next, find a decent size transformer like MRC's 10 amp. It's not real expensive but it's power 4 USA F3s with no problem.
Next, unless you're going to try and run the O stuff, you're going to need to figure out what scale with in G you prefer to run. G refers to the track gauge. The following scales all run on G Gauge track. 1/32, 1/29, 1/24th. 1/22nd and 1.20th are the most common. Buildings and other accessories are more available for certain scales. So, some are pretty much left to you to scratch build.
Now, from there, start small as far as track length. Get a train running and then expand from there.

Have fun.
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input.
I have to make this short because I've been getting timed out after I finished writing. Then losing it all after logging back in. UGH
My initial thought is to keep this hobby simple, for no other reason than to stay sane. Come spring or summer a simple outdoor layout with standard USA brass G gauge tracks. Randy's transformer suggestion and USA trains. Are USA all 29 scale?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

My profile won't be coming anytime soon because this site isn't secure but here is a little about myself. I am not a perfectionist! Still married after 47 years and I'm so old that the Wright brothers flew about 50 years before I started school. And now it's been almost 50 years since man "flew" to the moon which proves that time flys. "Yesterday came suddenly", The Beatles and I want to go back in time and play with trains lol
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

OMG did I say that? I am as serious about this hobby as anybody. I have a 1999 Century Club Berkshire and my 1958 Santa Fe 208 in O gauge with nowhere to set them up. I look forward to planning and incorporating a layout in our backyard landscaping. Typical me having to apologize only after 3 posts. Now you really know me.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Most USA trains are 1/29th, but their American Series box and reefers are about 1/24th scale.
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in