AWOL Admin - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Chris

I was also puzzled buy the time zone, until I figured out how to change it to my local time.

Go to "User CP" in the blue menu bar. Once that window opens there is a list of options down the left side. Click on "Edit Options". This will bring up a window with a number of fields with different options to customize your viewing of MLS. There is a field near the bottom, you will have scroll down, with a heading of "Date and Time". In that field is a setting for time zone.

Chuck

chuck n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Harvey,
I have a bigger write up on the Stirling Single conversion over on Large Scale CEntral in the Rolling Stock forum.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironton View Post
Chris,

Doesn't matter where the server is located. The server is working on GMT (standard time at longitude 0 degrees). It is not relevant to actual location.

Hope this helps.
Rich;
Yeah I know, location was just a way of trying to put some dumb_ass humor into a half silly question. And kind of a reference to the old MLS in Shad's house which, if memory serves, did post the time in his local time zone.

But I wouldn't say it doesn't entirely matter where the server is; electrons flowing, speed of light and all that stuff. I mean look at recent revelations about Wall Street's electronic trading*. A willy trading firm taking advantage of micro-to-milliseconds delay to scoot a trade in before another trade based on where servers are physically located and where the exchange server is physically located. IT may only be $0.0001 per trade but over trillions of trades worldwide a day, very profitable.

* FLASH BOYS, by Michael Lewis. (Norton.) The world of high-frequency computer-driven trading. If you're into the market stuff it makes for really good reading. SEC will make a rule change to stop the current methods; too many secrets naked in public so now wall street is outraged[sic]. Probably temporary, never underestimate the creativity of computer programmers I always say. I mean look at what went on in thee movie Tron. ;-) Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gin up a mob type to go burn 'em at the stake or hang 'em high. The boys are only using the systems and the rules as designed doing what they get paid to do, make money.

Chuck;

Thanks, good to know. I think I'll leave the time a bit off, there's a resemblance there If you know what I mean.

;-)

Last edited by Chris Scott; 05-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in