New Masters Class - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, "complete" is an elastic word when speaking of the Mason Bogie MC. It peters out at the point where all the major components (boiler, cab, tender shell, frame, etc) go together and you are on your own. It also relies on several purchased major parts that are no longer available.
astrayelmgod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thornton View Post
When you do, google this site for all the threads. There was one gentleman who made a coach entirely by cutting his own styrene from the PDFs ! Sounds like your kind of model
Pete,
I already have all the PDF's just lying in wait and have read the entire write up. I will definitely be reading everything I can find on it. I will be doing them from scratch out of styrene. Your right this is right up my alley. It may look like an abomination when its done but it will be my abomination. I need to complete my loco and tender then I will tackle these coaches. I need two.
d_sinsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Someday I will finish my Mason Bogie! It's still on the "to-do" list.
I still have this much done:

(there has been a small lull in activity on this project! doesnt bother me in the least though..)

I do have a laser-cut chassis, with "fancy" 1/20.3 scale drivers, which dont really match my prototype, but I will probably use them, since I have them..and im considering looking into laser cutting for the cab sides..

Scot

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com
Scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

A while back, I stored all the MasterClasses and Articles we could then recover on a separate server and built a link index, Everything can be found here...

MasterClasses and Articles Index and Downloads
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Ennis View Post
A while back, I stored all the MasterClasses and Articles we could then recover on a separate server and built a link index, Everything can be found here...

MasterClasses and Articles Index and Downloads
Yes you did Dwight and I thank you for it. I was able to pull all the 2001 class for my 2-6-0 build and also have the Coach build info from there. So thank you for doing that.

Because of that It prompted me to want to see a revival.
d_sinsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_sinsley View Post
Any chance of someone putting together another Masters Class? l have looked back over those projects and it would be fun to work through one. Maybe a traditional 4-4-0

Also when I first was lurking around here if I remember right there was a few builders challenges issued? Anything going on in that realm?
The problem with the MCs became that it became difficult for any concensus about what to build. No matter what was suggested someone didn't like it. Narrow gaugers wouldn't do anything standard guage and visa-versa. Steam vs dismal, early steam vs late steam, eastern steam vs western steam, big steam vs little steam, by the time a subject was decided only six people were interested so it stopped.

Personally I would love to have seen an MC for RGSs little 0-6-0t yard goat.

Last edited by vsmith; 11-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.
vsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

I think the purpose David Fletcher had in mind was not to show how to build a particular locomotive, but rather to share his techniques and some of his sources for parts that would enable one to scratch build ANY locomotive they chose to. Also, to provide some history and insight into how steam locomotives were constructed, and to show elements common to each - like the backhead or airpump for example. At this, I think he succeeded VERY well!!!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Ennis View Post
I think the purpose David Fletcher had in mind was not to show how to build a particular locomotive, but rather to share his techniques and some of his sources for parts that would enable one to scratch build ANY locomotive they chose to. Also, to provide some history and insight into how steam locomotives were constructed, and to show elements common to each - like the backhead or airpump for example. At this, I think he succeeded VERY well!!!
So very well, that the lament of those who came later, is there is nothing like it now.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
So very well, that the lament of those who came later, is there is nothing like it now.
I hear what you're saying, but the original is still there and steam locomotives haven't changed. While there's an understandable desire to see more of them, most everything one needs to know to scratch build any locomotive is already there... except perhaps the courage to dive in and give it a try.

And please don't take that last the wrong way. It does indeed take a certain amount of courage to attempt something one has never done, but a big part of this hobby of model railroading was once scratch building everything from locomotives to rolling stock to structures to carving one's own little people, and an enormous amount of personal satisfaction and even fulfillment lies therein. No one's first attempts are going to be perfect, but skills improves with practice and experience... but not unless one tries.

My humble two cents.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
1st Class Pirate

Question Did I miss something?

quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalwrecker
The gentleman that ran the challenges gave up here due to lack of interest several years ago. He took it to large scale central (another forum) where the challenge lives in his memory as The MIK just MIK Challenge He passed away a year ago last month.
John
PS Next month a new challenge will be announced.

TW, I think you are confusing MIK's building challenges with the MLS "master classes"..they are not the same thing.

Um.......did I miss something here?
Larry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in