New Masters Class - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

The second question of the OP wasn't supported by the title, I made the mistake of addressing the former challenge.
After my post to the one you posted was censored, I deleted all of mine.
It's futile to defend against .... can't say.
John

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Ennis View Post
No one's first attempts are going to be perfect, but skills improves with practice and experience... but not unless one tries.

My humble two cents.
Dwight this is exactly how I feel. I am building my first large scale model of any sort and I know at the end of the day it will look less than perfect compared to an Accucraft. But I know I can buy a $1200.00 locomotive, what I want though is to have the pride in making one from the ground up. I know hat isn't everyone's cup of tea. and that's ok. This hobby has all sorts of room for different interests.
d_sinsley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalwrecker View Post
The second question of the OP wasn't supported by the title, I made the mistake of addressing the former challenge.
After my post to the one you posted was censored, I deleted all of mine.
It's futile to defend against .... can't say.
John
and I missed the fact that the OP asked about two different things..
why was your post censored? it seemed perfectly innocent and informational to me..the one you posted about MIK's challenges? who could have any problem with that post? very strange..

Scot

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com

Last edited by Scottychaos; 11-02-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hmm..strange..well, whoever you were arguing with, their post must have been deleted too, because its no longer here..looks like the whole exchange is now gone..I missed it! I was just sorry to see your original post about the Mik challenge go away..
Scot

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com
Old 11-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

I'm completely confused now! You objected to my post? Why? There is nothing objectionable in it..and I don't understand what "calls me out" means..I'm not understanding what you are saying..

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com
Old 11-03-2014, 01:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_sinsley View Post
Dwight this is exactly how I feel. I am building my first large scale model of any sort and I know at the end of the day it will look less than perfect compared to an Accucraft. But I know I can buy a $1200.00 locomotive, what I want though is to have the pride in making one from the ground up. I know hat isn't everyone's cup of tea. and that's ok. This hobby has all sorts of room for different interests.
Good for you man!!! I believe you're in for a real treat!! Success breeds further success!!

If I may make a humble suggestion, download and study the first MasterClass on building the Baldwin Mogul. This one, being the first in the series, probably has the most complete info on techniques, tools, etc.

Have you scratch built stuff in other scales? If so, what you already know will carry over into large scale.

Congrats on your project and may you enjoy the crap out of it!! hehehe
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Hi,
In addition to the styrene cut versions, Harald Brosch in Germany may be willing to make some - those are in plywood so they would need to be sealed.

Rick Raivley had a lot of trouble to start with cutting the styrene versions - the laser reflected off the surface and the fix was to cover ALL the styrene with masking tape - that took a lot of time!

Below is a link to a large PDF re the coaches.

http://www.npcrr.com/Articles/Carter...2006-Chp-1.pdf

The above PDF has at the end an e-mail for Harald. He travels a lot so there may not be a immediate reply.

Here is my coach, with others still to put together.

If you want to see more photos, they are listed at the following link

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/man...p?path=coaches

The coach is 24" long, x 5" wide and just over 7" high.

Yours Peter

Last edited by peter bunce; 11-03-2014 at 06:50 AM. Reason: add photos
peter bunce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Dish Washer

Can one of the admins, please create a thread listing these links, make it a sticky, then lock the thread so it can be an easy to find sets of links, please?
Randy Stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Ennis View Post
Good for you man!!! I believe you're in for a real treat!! Success breeds further success!!

If I may make a humble suggestion, download and study the first MasterClass on building the Baldwin Mogul. This one, being the first in the series, probably has the most complete info on techniques, tools, etc.

Have you scratch built stuff in other scales? If so, what you already know will carry over into large scale.

Congrats on your project and may you enjoy the crap out of it!! hehehe
I already have the first one downloaded. Even though my 2-6-0 is not being built anywhere near the same way I am using it for the background knowledge and for the detailing aspects. David did a wonderful job of putting it together. I also have some of the details from others.

I might look into getting the kits, if available. I was going to hand cut the styrene but dang all the chairs would be tough. One thing I have already done is use the technique for the wall construction for a cab I ended up scrapping. Making it in layers give some real depth as well as you can leave the "glass" out until after painting.

WhenI do my next cab I will post the technique in my thread on it. (this should have been part of the next thread on the carter coaches.

I am not new to scratch building I have done a fair share of it in HO and also in model cars. So the basics are good. My main issue is I am new to steam locomotives. I really know nothing about them. That's where the first masters class is so informative.

Last edited by d_sinsley; 11-03-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #30 (permalink)

I believe that I have that Carter coach one. Isn't it the same as the one listed under the masters classes. I downloaded it just in case it is different.

As for the links I would say that since we already have a site dedicated to the masters classes a sticky could be put there with the various links.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in