wiring reverse loops - Page 10 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #91 (permalink)

Anyone have a 2-loop fully automatic reverse loop (DC) using no reed switches and no magnets? How does it work and how is it wired up?
slave_friedemann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #92 (permalink)

Yes, it does. krs told me that his illustration is about 10 years old. He indicated that the more modern layout would eliminate the need for reed switches and associated magnet on the locomotive. He said that some German company had come up with it and that he would let me know, once he finds it. He says it works. So I'm kind of waiting for him to get back with me. But, in the meantime, I'm (impatiently) looking for anybody else who might have come across this "modern" layout that krs is talking about.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 AM   #93 (permalink)

By the way, do the reed switches, when actuated, change the relays in the 12030 (12070)? I'm trying to trace the logic of the circuit. I might be able to beat the time it takes those monkeys to write a Shakespeare sonnet. I'm in no hurry!

Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 AM   #94 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Biggest issue with the 12030 and 12070 is both switches inside do not reverse at the same time, therefore creating a short for a small period of time. Older supplies did not care, but the newer supplies will see this short and shut down!!
I would suggest using the more robust 12 volt car relays which have both contacts disengaging before engaging the opposite contact.
Also there are reversing modules that use mosfets and are more adept for reversing than mechanical relays. Mechanical devices change state in milliseconds, mosfets are in microseconds (a thousand times faster).
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #95 (permalink)

Older supplies? Newer supplies? I guess I'm confused.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #96 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

The older supplies were just transformers feeding a diode bridge and then big Capacitors to filter out the ripple. These do not monitor current but do have fuses/breakers which are 'slow".

Newer supplies do not have a big A/C transformer, they use an electronic circuit to create the voltage at a constant value and s short can cause the output to shutdown via internal sensors. Electronic sensors are a thousand times faster than a fuse or circuit breaker.
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in