wiring reverse loops - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
krs

Default RE: wiring reverse loops

Sorry -

That diagram isn't nearly as wide when I look at it on my mls web space.

But here is a smaller one (I hope):

krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
krs

Posted By Les on 22 Aug 2009 06:09 PM
Todd,

2 questions: Does it really take that many relays for a common reversing loop? I'm tired, not grasping exacty what I'm seeing. And it's automatic? (For DC track).

2nd question:

Why is this screen so huge I've got to horizontal scroll like, 3 feet to see all of it? That's kinda hard, y'know?

Les

OK - I reduced the size of my diagram so you don't have to scroll.

That answers your second question.

To answer your first question - there is also a DC reversing loop schematic (works for DCC as well) that uses a single latching relay. I'll dig it out and post it here.
That single latching relay still uses a magnet under the loco and reed switches between the track, but with a bit of work, that could be changed to use double gaps in the rail and no magnet or reed switches.

Knut
Old 08-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Posted By Les on 22 Aug 2009 06:09 PM
Todd,

2 questions: Does it really take that many relays for a common reversing loop? I'm tired, not grasping exacty what I'm seeing. And it's automatic? (For DC track).

2nd question:

Why is this screen so huge I've got to horizontal scroll like, 3 feet to see all of it? That's kinda hard, y'know?

Les

Lizard Bash Loop Control

The included diagram uses five relays to automatically control the polarity of both the loop and main line. While all relays are shown as 4pole double throw (4pdt), not all of the poles are used on every relay. Furthermore, Relay 4 is redundant to Relay 3, but is necessary for a fifth pole on that relay. If a 5pdt (or more) relay is obtained, Relay 3 may be replaced and the pole contacts on Relay 4 may be shifted to Relay 3 alleviating the need for Relay 4.

As illustrated, the relays use 6 volts. But any voltage relays may be used, so long as the proper voltage is used to trigger them. The voltage connections that power the relay coils are shown in red while the current that goes to the tracks is in black. The Power Pack represents the power supply that actually runs the trains. The two Reed Switches are Normally Open (N/O). The Turn Out Toggle (TOT) represents the toggle switch that would be on the control panel used to activate an LGB turnout motor (or equivalent). We’ll use a double pole double throw (dpdt) switch that is off in the center position and spring loaded to return to the center. We’ll use one half of the switch (left blank in the diagram) to activate the turnout (assuming a common ground). The other half of the dpdt switch will activate the Lizard Bash Loop Control (LBLC).

Follow along the diagram as you take a ride through the loop and see what happens.

On our first trip, we’ll proceed from left to right (clockwise) going through the “straight section” of the turnout.

Current flows from the power pack through Relay 1, Pole 3 and 4 (counting up from the bottom of the diagram) (R1P3 and R1P4) to the main line so the train has power. It then flows from the track (would actually be from R1P3 and R1P4 but this is more intuitive and serves for illustration purposes), through R3P3 and R3P4 to the loop so the train has power when it enters the loop.

The operator toggles the turnout pushing the switch down. Voltage is applied to Relay 5 pulling down the armature. R5P1 is pulled down. Because no voltage is flowing to pole 1, nothing happens. (That’s OK at this point.) The train proceeds and first encounters Reed Switch 1 (RS1). The magnet closes the reed and voltage flows to R3P2. Because the circuit is open at this point, nothing happens and the reed switch is ignored.

The train continues on and encounters RS2. The magnet closes the reed and voltage flows to R3P2. From there it continues on to R1P2, firing Relay 1. When Relay 1 fires, it reverses the current to the main line. But that then reverses the current to the loop and if left like this, the train would go backward before it reaches the main line again. (More on this in a moment.) When Relay 1 fires it also completes the circuit so that voltage flows through R1P1. This voltage continues on through R2P1, and back to the Relay 1 coil. This then makes Relay 1 stay “fired” (keeping the current to the main line reversed) even after the train clears the Reed Switch.

As noted, when the current to the main line is reversed, it also reverses the current to the loop and the train would go backward when triggering RS2. As such, when the train passes over RS2 firing Relay 1, it also fires Relays 3 and 4 through R4P1. Relay 3 then reverses the current to the loop at the same time Relay 1 reverses the current to the main line. So the current to the loop is reversed and reversed again and stays as it was before the train passed over the reed switch. When Relay 3 fires it pulls R3P1 completing that circuit. Voltage flows thought R3P1, then though R5P1 keeping Relays 3 and 4 fired after the train clears the reed switch.

At this point, the control of the turnout points can be accommodated though this circuitry (with some modification), can be controlled using the typical LGB circuitry (adding the appropriate reed switch to activate the turnout) but without the bother of polarity control), or the train can simply “push the points” into position as the train transitions out of the loop onto the main line and pulls away.

So the train pulls away and takes care of business later to return to the loop. The turnout points are still where they were when the train left, either because they were fired by circuitry or because the wheels simply pushed them over. If left unattended, the train proceeds through the loop, this time in a counter clockwise direction through the curved leg of the turnout and first encounters RS2. Voltage flows though the reed switch to R3P2. But the relay is still in its active state and the voltage comes to an unconnected relay contact, and the Reed Switch is ignored. The train proceeds on and encounters RS1. Voltage flows again to R3P2 and this time passes through the relay on to R1P2. Relay 1 is also still energized, and the voltage passes through R1P2 and fires Relay 2. When Relay 2 fires, R2P1 opens interrupting the voltage that has been holding Relay 1 open and Relay 1 closes. This then reverses the current to the mainline.

Again, the mainline feeds the loop and to keep the train from going backward before reaching the main line, the voltage from RS2 passes through R3P2 to R4P1 (that is still in a fired position along with Relay 3) to the coil on Relay 5. This fires Relay 5 that removes the voltage that holds Relays 3 and 4 open. Relays 3 and 4 then reverse simultaneous with the main line and the current from the main line and loop are again in sync.

This will go on repeatedly with trains alternating clockwise/counterclockwise as infinitum without intervention. If the user decides to alter this natural rhythm, he can do so by toggling the turnout. This resets the relays to whatever “state” is selected through the Turn Out Toggle (TOT) also used to activate the turnout. When the TOT is pushed down it sends voltage to the Relay 5 coil pulling the armature that breaks the circuit through R5P1 holding Relays 3 and 4 open and they revert to the original clockwise direction relative to the main line. When the TOT is pushed up, it fires Relays 3 and 4 to the counterclockwise direction relative to the main line and they will latch in that position by sending voltage through R3P1 followed by R5P1.

That’s it in a nutshell. Enjoy.

toddalin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

The LGB diagrams shown in the book I mentioned provide for three modes of wiring reverse loops. Yes, one is manual operation, however the other two are fully automatic, no hands mom, operations. One of those allows the train to enter the loop from either direction, while in the other one, the train must traverse the loop in the same direction all of the time. I have this type on my layout, which is fully automated, in four places (four reverse loops) and they have been operating flawlwssly for years. The other opinions mentioned are from members alot more talented than I when it comes to fancy electronics. However, for me, I prefer the KISS method, as running an outdoor railway requires enough maintainance as it is.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
krs

I was replying specifically to your post where you suggest the use of LGB Reverse Loop Set -

The easiest solution would be the LGB reverse loop track set. It comes with two sections of track. Each section has its purpose. Both sections are placed inside of the loop. In your case you will need two sets.

That LGB Reverse Loop Set will only give you manual operation.
If you want automatic operation, one will have to add at least one additional component to reverse track polarity.
Yes - two options of that are covered in the LGB book, there are also a number of other ways to do that - with and without LGB components.

I just didn't want to leave anyone with the impression that using the LGB reverse loop set will provide automatic operation.

Knut
Old 08-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Posted By lownote on 22 Aug 2009 04:55 PM
It's things like this that make me think about going to DCC. A DCC system will do reverse loops automatically with no additional wire whatsoever.

Dave Bodnar has some info on reverse loops on his site:

http://www.davebodnar.com/

Also George Schreyer's fantastic site:

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips.html

Specifically I would suggest checking this article on the TrainElectronics.com web page

Reverse Loops Article

dave
dbodnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
krs

Posted By dbodnar on 23 Aug 2009 11:26 AM

Specifically I would suggest checking this article on the TrainElectronics.com web page

Reverse Loops Article

dave

I haven't had a chance to read that article, just glance through it quickly, but it looks like excellent information.

One wiring diagram using a single latching relay is shown below.
It needs a bit of work because this was a design for an N-scale layout where switches use three-wire control instead of two-wire control as with LGB.

Also - some symbols might be a bit strange since this schematic is from Europe, but it's a great starting point for a simple and effective reverse loop controller.

With that particular one, one can travel around the reverse loop in either direction and everything is fully automatic.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

DCC is far and away the easiest way to deal with this for track power. Battery RC is also easy, just ignore the whole problem...

The DCC autoreverse modules do need a short to detect when they need to operate, but they operate so quickly that there seems to be no downside. DCC, however well it works, tends to have a high entry cost. However, once that barrier is past, it's great.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Posted By krs on 22 Aug 2009 07:15 PM
Sorry -

That diagram isn't nearly as wide when I look at it on my mls web space.

But here is a smaller one (I hope):

I have been running this system for the past year in my basement. While it is wire intensive, it works great. Currently I have it torn apart to upsize the wires to cut the voltage drop (LGB wire and old phone wire to 16ga). The reverse loop using two LGB 10151 had a much more noticable drop due to the diodes.

If you plan on backing your trains inside the loops install magnets on your cabooses and it doesn't know the difference.

Paul
Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

I gotta say, following this thread, it's the best advertisement for battery power I've seen in a long time!!

Ed
eheading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in