Mean Well power supply - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mean Well power supply

Well, its time to add some dedicated power to my other loops. Up 'til now, I've been running everything with a single Aristocraft Ultima 10 amp power supply. But, with the constant addition (or addiction!) of more engines, more rolling stock, and thus longer trains- it's time to invest in more power. I've heard about people using the Mean Well power supplies with some success. TRC Electronics has some pretty good prices on them. Since, I already own a couple of extra Aristocraft CRE-55460 10 amp controllers, I figured the Mean Well supplies might work out good. Naturally, I've got some questions (and I know you have answers!!!). Here goes.......

1- Is anyone using the Mean Well with the Aristocraft 10 amp controller? Hows it working out- any issues?

2- I'm guessing that I'd want to buy the 10 Amp, 24 Volt Mean Well (TRC Electronics #SP-240-24). I'll probably buy 2 of them- One for each separate loop of track. Then, I'd have more than enough power on each loop to run whatever I want (double headed freight trains, long heavyweight passenger trains, etc).

3- Does anyone sell the mate to the modular plug that is already on the Aristocraft controller? I know its not necessary, but it I don't want to cut it off the controller and hardwire it to the power supply. I'd rather make a pigtail on the power supply and be able to just plug in the controller- just like on the Ultima (I know, I know, call me picky........).

4- IF...... some day I decided to buy an Aristocraft Train Engineer (probably the old system CRE-55470), would I run into any compatibility issues?

5- Any other thoughts, ideas, recommendations, etc. are always welcomed.

As always- Thanks for the help.

-Kevin.
dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce
Default RE: Mean Well power supply

I have 2 friends that use the Aristto 13 amp 22.5 volt supply with the 27mhz trackside train engineer. They have had no problems.

Just one thing to remember, the train engineer receiver must be 3 feet from a power source for consistant programming. Really 3 feet from any electronics such as power supplies or even telephone/blu-ray equipment.

I use a 8 amp 24 volt supply outdoors in New England with my trackside 27mhz TE and it has been in use for 8 years with no issues.

I do run a small loop with the Ultima and this powers my accessroy receivers as they have a 22 volt DC limit.

I also support a club that uses 2 potran 6.5 amp 24 volt power supplies with 2 trackside TE's with no problems to date.

So, I do not have a mean well, but do use other supplies with 24 volt regulated supply ratings.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Modulator

I use the meanwell, (have several) and have recommended it as a reliable, low cost regulated switching supply.

Many of my friends have bought them.

Recommended.

Greg

p.s. you have to add your own power cord and power switch.

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I use to use a Meanwell when I ran track power with a A/C trackside train engineer. It worked great.

Custom Vinyl Lettering & Simple Low Cost Battery Power
www.GScaleGraphics.net
Del Tapparo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I use a Mean Well 15A/24V supply split between two controllers. Have happily powered trains with for the past couple of years.

The only problem I have experienced is with a DCC locomotive that is supposed to be able to run on DC. According to the locomotive manufacturer, at what appears to be 9V on the track to a normal locomotive, has pulses in the power to which exceed 21V, and the DCC card shuts down. Whether that is true, or they are just pointing at that so not to fix there locomotive. I don't know.

Hope this helps.
jaanth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Many large scale decoders are derived from HO decoders, and do not have the proper voltage handling for LS, which is a max of 27 volts DC. (22 volts DCC)

So Tsunami (found in Bachmann), some Digitrax, and some other brands are not tolerant.

If you go to the DCC standards, you will find the max DC voltage should be 27 volts on decoders over "N" scale. look in section "C", line 71 states this..

Here's the document:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/s...004-07.pdf

They may still tell you to shove it, but they cannot tell you that it meets the NMRA DCC standard.

Regards, Greg

Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
krs

Posted By jaanth on 27 Jul 2011 02:44 PM
According to the locomotive manufacturer, at what appears to be 9V on the track to a normal locomotive, has pulses in the power to which exceed 21V, and the DCC card shuts down.

Well, the DCC card is not supposed to shut down at 21 volts as Greg pointed out, but just for interest - how did the loco manufacturer decide that there were21 volt pulses in the output of the Meanwell (or am I misinterpreting what you wrote?).

First Meanwell supply I bought to run my trains was a 24 volt 6.5 amp unit - I measured it's output characteristics and every parameter including noise was well within specs.
There were no 21 volt spikes or any other spikes of any magnitude.

I later found a very detailed test report of those types of Meanwell power supplies on line - done by an independant lab - they tested every last specified parameter (which I hadn't done) and evry last one was well within the published specs. I was quite impressed with the quality of those supplies compared to the price they are sold for.

Knut
krs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Funny, the manufacturer is already trying to blame something else, and they have their facts wrong on the max DC voltage... unless they specify that they are not NMRA compliant, and cannot correctly call their decoder DCC...

They are probably thinking that max DC voltage is the same as max DCC voltage...

Just baloney...

After all this, what is the manufacturer and model of the decoder?

Greg

Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Could someone add a link to the Mean Well power unit and/or which one is the preferred one for model trains 10-15 AMPs.
Thanks
gregg k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Gregg try here. http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=693581&productI d=693581&keyCode=PDF Later RJD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in