Using Meanwell SP-320-24 - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default RE: Using Meanwell SP-320-24

8 gauge will really help. I have relatively short power feed runs, but still use 10 gauge wire. Do you have some pictures of your setup Lebensw.......Bahn ? (and a name ha ha?) Greg

Hi again Greg, yes I have a lot of pictures but I understand I'll need to upgrade my membership before I can post them. It might help to clear up some misunderstandings on how I have the track-power disconnects set up. I sure don't want to encourage others to do something dangerous.

I could email some to you using the msn/hotmail slideshow option. I'll need some time to put an album together and send it to you when I get the next opportunity. (There's been a death in the family recently and it's taking time to get back on any kind of normal schedule - lots of loose ends...)

I've got a portion of the layout we call "Shady Grove" about 25-50 feet from the main track connections that is wired to be able to either plug a throttle or a jumper in the remote track connector-post and either run of an independent throttle or convey power from a throttle on the main layout remotely. Especially on throttle output coming from 25+ feet away I didn't want any current drop, so I used the 8/2 marine wire.

I'm on the Atlantic Coast so humidity/corrosion was a factor in using the tinned marine wire for the long run.

I'm likely to be offline for a while with other pressing matters but I'm hoping to upgrade soon and post some photos.

Sorry about the name thing. I joined the site back before the hotmail blockage of outbound mail from the MLS site and had to dig through my archives to even find my log-on name and password! I forget why I ended up chosing such a long name. Here's a shorter one:

Brad
LebenswichtigeGartenBahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Default RE: Using Meanwell SP-320-24

Brad, with only 20 posts, and not a first class member, I'd just make a new login... what the heck... some people here have 2 logins and use both...

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

According to what I have read, using an LGB throttle with a non-LGB power supply will result in the overload protection not working. Does anyone know if there is any truth in that?
alx19881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Modulator

Not true... just like LGB invalidated warranties for some time because "pulse power" was damaging engines. A regulated DC power supply much better than an unregulated transformer... be sure to fuse the power supply output to match the capability of your throttle.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected]
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in