arist train engineers ... what alternatives ? - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

I use three Aristo TEs on my garden layout.

I couldn't get reception from the other end of the layout so I increased their range by adding a CB antenna and now it is no problem. They operate in the same frequency range.

But I don't think that I can get 150 feet away.
toddalin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

You need more that 8 amps in one section of track?

What are you running for locomotives?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

mike

2-3 aristo dash-9 coupled together. guess they draw more than 8 amps
sschaer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

I have 4 tracks that are all tied to the same DCC power source. With my Zimo system I do not need isolated track sections as I have plenty of power to run lit passenger cars and many engines with multiple motors.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hi Sandro:
If you want to dispose of your Train engeneer I am looking for one, it would save me paying customs. I will be in Switzerland next week at EIWI, and other clubs. It is the last version which I am looking for. I don't care for sound and it woks fine in my environments near Paris, Although the trains do go through a concrete wall to get from the indoor terminus to the outdoor line but mine is smaller 50 meters of double track. And it is far more reliable than DCS which I tried for a couple of years and a lot less hastle too.
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

This may be a case of missed diagnosis. I'm a radio engineer that works construction in Germany. If your layout is all in one room and you are always in the same room as the track controller, the rebar may not be the issue.

Get the radio system checked (local radio shop or amateur radio operator) as the transmitter or receiver is probably defective (replace the antenna on the hand unit - that's the most vulnerable - if you have a spare...)

Other than that you got good advice. I would try to find a replacement system that is NMRA approved as it will give you a solution that is more maintainable. It is also prudent to move from 27 MHz as it is interference prone.

Warren
wvlemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvlemay View Post
This may be a case of missed diagnosis. I'm a radio engineer that works construction in Germany. If your layout is all in one room and you are always in the same room as the track controller, the rebar may not be the issue.

Get the radio system checked (local radio shop or amateur radio operator) as the transmitter or receiver is probably defective (replace the antenna on the hand unit - that's the most vulnerable - if you have a spare...)

Other than that you got good advice. I would try to find a replacement system that is NMRA approved as it will give you a solution that is more maintainable. It is also prudent to move from 27 MHz as it is interference prone.

Warren

I read that his track is all Around his house ... outside.

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschaer View Post
i have a 27mhz aristo train engineer.

what are the differences between aristo and crest ? thought that was the same company.

over here almost all buildings are made of steel reinforced concrete.
g-scale trains go around the house. except for the backside of the house there's always at least one 15" thick concrete wall between handheld throttle and the receiver.

I still use this same system. What I did to get more range, and if possible, is mount the TE Receiver on a board mounted to a stake and then mount that so it extends above your roof line.

I did this with one and it worked out great, was able to run my train from 2-3 houses away watching it through my neighbors security system on his smart phone to see if it was getting to the train.

If you can give it some height and just let the antenna dangle, it should work. Just a suggestion for you.. Good Luck.
Cataptrra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

I doubled the length of the antenna wire and got better results.
Better yet, get a 27mhz firestick antenna (these are wire wound units and I beleive are quarter wave).
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2018, 04:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

as mentioned my layout runs around the house.

i also tried to use a longer antenna on the receiver. doubled the length, 4x the length. did not help.

mounting the receiver above the roof line would mean to mount it 15ft above the tracks. exposed to wind and rain. probably not a really nice place for electronics.
btw, roof size is 38x80ft ....
sschaer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in