arist train engineers ... what alternatives ? - Page 3 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Double the antenna length and run it up from the receiver, do not let it hang down. Also increase the ground plane by mounting the receivers on a metal pan. When using the transmitter, touch a metal pole with its antenna, you will be surprised at what can happen. some of this can defy logic!!
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

I have a set up where the original Aristo train engeneer's receiver antena just goes through the cat trap which the trains use to get outdoors from the indoor terminal, and it works both indoors and outdoors pretty well. But it doesn't go around the house though.
du-bousquetaire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschaer View Post
sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

as mentioned my layout runs around the house.

i also tried to use a longer antenna on the receiver. doubled the length, 4x the length. did not help.

mounting the receiver above the roof line would mean to mount it 15ft above the tracks. exposed to wind and rain. probably not a really nice place for electronics.
btw, roof size is 38x80ft ....

I actually mounted mine inside an old telephone wiring box that I got for free when they changed over to newer boxes in my neighborhood. Got quite a few of them for free since they were just going to take them and throw them away.

I sanded out the interior, let the antenna wire dangle, as well as the power and accessory wires leave our from the covered openings where the wire and cables went into the box.

The boxes are weatherproof, but the signal still gets to the RX'er inside with no failure rate. The wind or rain hasn't bothered mine and it's been out there for going on 6 years now.

So you can make it a bit more weatherproof and still function fine mounting it above a roof line with a little thicker wood and zip ties.

Mine has withstood 2 hurricanes and still functions great.
Cataptrra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in