DCC for Accucraft K-28 - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
I'm baaak!

You have not lived until you discover the hidden 6v regulator on an accucraft with one side of the regulator circuit connected to the loco chassis. That's just one fun anecdote.

Greg

Click here for Greg's web site

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected] (yes John I am back)
Greg Elmassian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Greg,

Thanks for the insight. I have tested the decoder with the digitrax tester and it passed. It seems that I will need to take the Loco apart, I really did not want to do that, and look at the wiring.

Treeman,
Thanks for the info on decoders.

Does anybody have any ideas to access where the motor is in the Loco. I donít want to unscrew too much and have more problems. I was hoping this was strait forward, but I guess not. Accucraft does not have any good descriptions about the wiring.
Thanks, Bodey
bodeydenault@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
I'm baaak!

Unfortunately, Accucraft locos rarely match the schematics supplied.

Since you can get to the wires in the tender, you should be able to do the 2 tests I outlined without disassembly.

I have found all kinds of weird wiring in these locos, and really in Aristo and Bachmann too, so beware.

The biggest bugaboo on DCC is usually some connection between one of the motor leads and one of the track pickups. When this happens the loco runs fine on analog, and will usually destroy the DCC decoder if tried long enough.

Test your connections on the program track, and if you can read and write the decoder, normally the track pickups are fine.

As you program the decoder, there should be short bursts to the motor, and that should be visible if you watch closely.

This allows basic connection verifiction without risking damage.

Greg

Note: Please. no private messaging, use regular email: [email protected] (yes John I am back)

Old 11-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Greg,
Good news: The track pickups are working; I have isolated the problem to the wiring from the DCC board to the motor. After all the test you have given me, I am able to program the decoder with the motor wire disconnected from the board.
Bad New: problem still exists.
Thanks, Bodey
bodeydenault@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
I'm baaak!

OK progress... .now find a small motor and connect it to the decoder.

That decoder you are using is marginal, so it might be having trouble with the Pittman motor.

Also take the motor leads from the loco and power with 12v or so directly and see if the motor runs. If so, measure the current drawn.

Greg

Old 11-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

For help with Zimo talk to TrainLi, expert in house..
AvantWireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Pierce

Bodey, it can be helpful if we know approx. where you live as there are some of us that could be near by. Sometimes a new pair of eyes can see something you missed. It does not have to be an exact address, I use Southeastern MA, for mine.
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Greg,
Good News: I have done a simple 9v test with the motor wires and the Loco worked, I am hoping to have time today to get to the store to get a 12v battery and test the current drawn. Also, I have tested the board with the Digitrax tester and the correct LED’s were lighting up appropriately. I do not have a small motor to try so I used the tester.

Dan,
I live in southern Washington State. About 25 minutes from Portland OR.

Thanks Bodey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in