G Scale Model Train Forum banner

Lifetime of Tenergy ion-lithium battery

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Treeman 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to hear the experience from others regarding the Tenergy ion-lithium battery. It seems to me after > 3 years, the battery degraded to the point it won't power the train. I use the RC-receiver/transmitter and ESC from Turnigy. What happened in the past few days was that there was normal response sound from the ESC but the locomotive did not run. I opened it up and found everything is normal in terms of the response from the transmitter/receiver and ESC, but again the train did not run. Then, I removed the Tenergy ion-lithium battery (14.8V) from the locomotive and connected the ESC directly to the DC-transformer, and the train started to run normally. Based on this diagnosis, it suggested that the battery degraded. I just ordered new Tenery ion-lithium battery and will assemble it this evening and will update you more.
Wellington

#6 ·
#9 · (Edited)
mymodeltrain<

If you’ll please provide data specific to your care, feedingand use of the failed Li-Ion batteries, collectively we maybe able to offer whatmay have led to the demise of your batteries.

Voltage: 14.8

Capacity: ?

Charger model number and or specifications: ?

Charging frequency/interval: ? (can you estimate total charge/runcycles)

Typical run time(s): ?

Are your loco’s fitted with the same batteries?

Please call out the loco brand/model?

Please describe your typical operation, i.e., charge andrun trains until train stops, run trains with partially charged battery until theystop, stop train prior to depleting batteries???

Please describe how you care for the batteries after arun?

There is a lot of misinformation out there with regard tothe “proper use” and charging demands of said batteries.

Tenergy like all other battery technology resellers, purchases OEM cells and assembles and or packages them as battery packs for resale. Whose OEM cell is utilized is an unknown unless it called out in Tenergy's specifications. Accordingly, all Tenergy packs are not of like origin, quality, age and more. As an example, one 14.8V battery maybe comprised of Panasonic cells while others maybe use Sanyo, LG Chem or others. The quality and shelf life of the cells used to assemble a given run of batteries, together with the careand use of said batteries will dictate its life span.

Michael

#12 ·
mymodeltrain<

If you’ll please provide data specific to your care, feedingand use of the failed Li-Ion batteries, collectively we maybe able to offer whatmay have led to the demise of your batteries.

Voltage: 14.8

Capacity: ?

Charger model number and or specifications: ?

Charging frequency/interval: ? (can you estimate total charge/runcycles)

Typical run time(s): ?

Are your loco’s fitted with the same batteries?

Please call out the loco brand/model?

Please describe your typical operation, i.e., charge andrun trains until train stops, run trains with partially charged battery until theystop, stop train prior to depleting batteries???

Please describe how you care for the batteries after arun?

There is a lot of misinformation out there with regard tothe “proper use” and charging demands of said batteries.

Tenergy like all other battery technology resellers,purchases OEM cells and assembles and or packages them as battery packs for resale.Whose OEM cell is utilized is an unknown unless it called out in Tenergyspecifications. Accordingly, all Tenergy packs are not of like origin, quality,age and more. As an example, one 14.8V battery maybe comprised of Panasoniccells while others maybe use Sanyo, LG Chem or others. The quality and shelf lifeof the cells used to assemble a given run of batteries, together with the careand use of said batteries will dictate its life span.

Michael

Years of usage: ~3 years
Voltage: 14.8 V
Capacity: 2600 mAh
Charger: Tenergy Universal Smart Charger, 1.5 Amp for 14.8 V Lithium-ion batteries
Frequency of running time: 2 hours in the weekend during Fall/Winter; Spring: 4-6 h/week-end. So most of the time the locomotives just sit inside the garage. Sometimes, I run until the battery is dead, and would bring them back to the garage to plug the charger in. But most of the time, the locomotives have a half-full battery.
locomotive types: LGB or USA Trains.

#11 · (Edited)
Dwight is correct, the life cycle of Lithium cells starts once the chemical matrix is combined. Batteries could be assembled years after the cells were first manufactured. Purchasing your batteries from a reputable battery assembler utilizing quality fresh inventory is paramount to happy life cycles.

FWIW: Some of the information of the Mechanics Illustrated article linked above is dated (2012) and or inaccurate IMO. As I often allude to there is a lot of misinformation out there with regard to Lithium batteries. If your interested in this type of information there are many sources with current and or accepted practices and realizations available online. The Battery University is one of many.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...AQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab#spf=1586224020071

Michael

#13 · (Edited)
Okay, some quick observations:
The charger in play is appropriate for 14.8V, 2600mAh battery.

NEVER run the batteries down until the train stops!!!! Contrary to the miss-information that many abide by, this is detrimental to the batteries life cycle.

What specific loco's? The LGB's are likely fine, yet USAT engines are hungry and will pull more current than the LGB's.

Best practice is to store your batteries partially charged, at STORAGE voltage which is typically 3.8V per cell as I recall.

Charge your batteries often with the appropriate current, do not wait until they are fully discharged, this is the established standard. Minimal discharges are best with a toping charge between use(s).

I recommend reviewing the link I provided above for up to date accurate/proven/knowledge on all things battery.

Michael

#17 ·
Paul is not the first person to indicate that perhaps the Tenergy packs have changed in "lifespan", I've heard it from a number of our club members too.

I wish that packs came in clear shrink, so you could look inside and see the manufacturer of the batteries.

Greg

#18 ·
https://www.batteryspace.com/

I have been happy with these folks for a long time. I started with their bike light /rechargeable flashlights for mine explorations, I could recharge in my truck away from home.
Then I used their NiMH tabbed batteries to make custom packs and then the Lithium packs after my others passed on....

#21 ·
This a thread might support a "poll" of some sort...

I'd like to see others results with battery powered trains and their life cycle with Lithium-Ion batteries...

Single series battery packs such as 4 cell 1S4P; 2200mAh capacity batteries are likely to live much longer in my experience as compared to an 8 cell 2S4P 4400mAh battery or any combination of cells combined in series-parallel configuration.

Michael.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.