Lifetime of Tenergy ion-lithium battery - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lifetime of Tenergy ion-lithium battery

I would like to hear the experience from others regarding the Tenergy ion-lithium battery. It seems to me after > 3 years, the battery degraded to the point it won't power the train. I use the RC-receiver/transmitter and ESC from Turnigy. What happened in the past few days was that there was normal response sound from the ESC but the locomotive did not run. I opened it up and found everything is normal in terms of the response from the transmitter/receiver and ESC, but again the train did not run. Then, I removed the Tenergy ion-lithium battery (14.8V) from the locomotive and connected the ESC directly to the DC-transformer, and the train started to run normally. Based on this diagnosis, it suggested that the battery degraded. I just ordered new Tenery ion-lithium battery and will assemble it this evening and will update you more.
Wellington

Last edited by mymodeltrain; 04-06-2020 at 03:59 PM.
mymodeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
I just ordered new Tenery ion-lithium battery
I think I would have ordered one from a different supplier!
Old 04-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thornton View Post
I think I would have ordered one from a different supplier!
PETE,
Do you know any other suppliers, please let me know so I can try in the near future. I just found another locomotive that has the same issue. I will check the battery again to confirm my observation.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

How do you store them?

They should not be stored at full voltage.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have 10 Tenergy battery packs of varying mAh capacities. The oldest is from 2013 and the newest is from 2016. I use the Tenergy TLP-4000 Universal 1A Smart Charger.

They are all performing just fine, have not noticed any degradation and none have failed as yet.
Homo Habilis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Lithium-ion batteries begin to degrade from the day they are manufactured. It's just the nature of their battery chemistry. In addition, they lose around 20% of their capacity after 1000 charge cycles. We've all had to replace a cell phone battery, or a laptop battery after using it a while. Nature of the beast.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-time-6705747/
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
How do you store them?

They should not be stored at full voltage.
The battery pack is inside the locomotive with charger, I just plug in to charge when they are empty.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Ennis View Post
Lithium-ion batteries begin to degrade from the day they are manufactured. It's just the nature of their battery chemistry. In addition, they lose around 20% of their capacity after 1000 charge cycles. We've all had to replace a cell phone battery, or a laptop battery after using it a while. Nature of the beast.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-time-6705747/
Agreed, I notice after a few years now, the running time is significantly shorter, estimating about 30% shorter than when the battery was new.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

mymodeltrain<

If you’ll please provide data specific to your care, feedingand use of the failed Li-Ion batteries, collectively we maybe able to offer whatmay have led to the demise of your batteries.

Voltage: 14.8

Capacity: ?

Charger model number and or specifications: ?

Charging frequency/interval: ? (can you estimate total charge/runcycles)

Typical run time(s): ?

Are your loco’s fitted with the same batteries?

Please call out the loco brand/model?

Please describe your typical operation, i.e., charge andrun trains until train stops, run trains with partially charged battery until theystop, stop train prior to depleting batteries???

Please describe how you care for the batteries after arun?

There is a lot of misinformation out there with regard tothe “proper use” and charging demands of said batteries.

Tenergy like all other battery technology resellers, purchases OEM cells and assembles and or packages them as battery packs for resale. Whose OEM cell is utilized is an unknown unless it called out in Tenergy's specifications. Accordingly, all Tenergy packs are not of like origin, quality, age and more. As an example, one 14.8V battery maybe comprised of Panasonic cells while others maybe use Sanyo, LG Chem or others. The quality and shelf life of the cells used to assemble a given run of batteries, together with the careand use of said batteries will dictate its life span.

Michael

Last edited by Michael Glavin; 04-06-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Michael Glavin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymodeltrain View Post
I would like to hear the experience from others regarding the Tenergy ion-lithium battery. It seems to me after > 3 years, the battery degraded to the point it won't power the train. I use the RC-receiver/transmitter and ESC from Turnigy. What happened in the past few days was that there was normal response sound from the ESC but the locomotive did not run. I opened it up and found everything is normal in terms of the response from the transmitter/receiver and ESC, but again the train did not run. Then, I removed the Tenergy ion-lithium battery (14.8V) from the locomotive and connected the ESC directly to the DC-transformer, and the train started to run normally. Based on this diagnosis, it suggested that the battery degraded. I just ordered new Tenery ion-lithium battery and will assemble it this evening and will update you more.
Wellington
I just installed a new Tenergy battery and the locomotive works fine, again.
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 8.38.17 PM.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in