On30 outdoors??? - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default On30 outdoors???

Has anyone ever tried On30 outside? If so, what track did you use? Did it hold up up to the elements? Did you have any major issues with operation outside?

I've been searching the net for answers but really haven't found much useful information. Just throwing this out there to satisfy my curiosity.

Regards,

Tom
tmtrainz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: On30 outdoors???

I don't have any specific experience with this, but a friend of mine has "O" gauge outside, and his biggest problem is with UV damage to track ties, etc. My guess is that would be a problem with your track too, finding UV resistant track.

Ed
eheading is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is a subject that crops up every then and now, and I always give the same response.

My BIL and I have had PECO nickel-silver 16.5mm track outdoors since 1979.

In GR a few years back there was an article covering the building of an outdoor 0n30 layout - looked good too AND IIRC it was in the state just south of Oregon, where they have powerful sunshine, according to the state motto.

PECO track has built-in UV inhibitors, and i bleeve that you can use it for at least the near forty years that WE have before it becomes a concern.

Can't say anything about other folks' track as I have no experience of it, never having needed any.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

SVRR has O gauge track with UV resistant ties, not sure where you'd fine HO gauge with that. There are UV sprays.
Jerry Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jerry, almost forty years of sun and rain on OUR track has made little difference.....here in yUK we are used to putting smaller gauge track outdoors - we have more room.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Major issue...
I built 200' of ladder for an On3 layout. Half elevated and half on the ground. I was ready to hand lay the track. Then the Rains hit and I watched sandy water flow over the 1 1/4" tall ladder and decided that my brand new K-27 would never fight that!
I bough my G starter set and the K has never been outside.
I decided to leave the ladder up to see how it behaved. I float my track on the ground!
The Trex crumbled.... high heat here.

I think your best bet is elevated and built like a conventional indoor layout with fixed scenery.
John

John

His friend Jerry Dillon looked up at the hillside and said; There is a big ledge, and the whole damned hill is a total wreck with quartz boulders of ore.
Totalwrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I haven't. But I know that some guy by the name of Peter Jones did. Unfortunately, he passed away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe he used Peco for track.
Darkrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Peco is the only one I know that will hold up outdoors.
SA #77
Steam'n in the backyard

V.R.R.R.
Vintage Rose Railroad
livesteam53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Posted By Darkrider on 01 Jun 2010 01:48 PM
I haven't. But I know that some guy by the name of Peter Jones did. Unfortunately, he passed away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe he used Peco for track.
Yup, the late and much-missed Peter Jones had Peco n/s track outdoors for well over forty years, in the industrial atmosphere and dank weather of South wales, too. It held up there as well as in rural North Wales, and has been holding up on the commercial Peco site in Beer, Devon, since the late '60's, too.

I'm sure there is some German-made track that is as good, just as there is German-made 45mm track that is good [a name that sounds like Thiele or something?], but right now I can't think of any German 0n30-looking n/s track. We get reminded from time to time about other makes of track that is 'far superior' to anything we have now, or have been using for decades, but apart from the odd twitter on the forum I've never actually heard from anybody using it.

Perhaps our German posters can advise us here?

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of theCape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund
Old 06-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I suppose, most of todays track will survive outdoors. They are not made from Cardboard or rusting iron anymore. I beleve, even brass is no longer used for smaller gauges.

On30 track is only 16,5mm wide. Rolling stock is much lighter and smaller than with the larger scales. So dirt and plants might be an issue outdoors. Not something I´d run on ground level.

The important thing, just like in other scales, is to find trackbed (sleepers) to suit your models. Peco NG track is modelled after Welsh narrow gauge prototypes. US Shays or Forneys might look a bit displaced on that kind of track. Many people use Micro Engineering 0n30 track for US prototypes. http://www.ks-modelleisenbahnen.de/h...gineering.html It is US made and looks a bit lighter than Peco 0-16,5.

Of course, some people might ask, is there were many 30 inch lines in the US.

Have Fun

Juergen / Fritz
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in