Converting 0n30 to 0 scale? - Page 2 - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default RE: Converting 0n30 to 0 scale?

Sirs, have I picked up my understanding of scales wrong? Isn't 0N30 already 0 scale just the rails are to 30" or 2'6" gauge. My bachmann single deck trams run on Peco 00 gauge track and the double deck trams run on Peco 0 gauge track. The rails are interlaced but I only use 00 gauge points.
Jim Brodie.
james brodie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

James, you are right - 0n30 IS already 0 SCALE, but not 0 GAUGE. I think that the OP might consider the tiny 30mm gauge Regner Feldbahn series of locos and cars - maybe there is something there that might be better suited to his complex needs. Or simply go straight to the vast amount of stuff available in British 7mm narrow gauge. Maybe find something from Backwoods Miniatures that might suit?

I have to admit that my head is rotating right now trying to figure out exactly what is wanted here.

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Posted By EFP&CO on 25 Jan 2011 06:51 AM
Hello!

Somebody in this forum who had converted Bachmann 0n30 up to 0 scale? Think about splitting the underframes and widen to fit 32mm track.

Oddvar

Sir - would you mind very much showing us what you would like to replicate/achieve? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you would want to double the gauge of the track, yet retain the tiny narrow-gauge outline of the rolling stock. I just put a Bachmann 0n30 car on a set of standard gauge trucks, and to say that it looked rather odd would be a kindness.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund
tacfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Insert a 3rd rail between the 32mm gauge track and run the 0n3 loco as it is. Use the same code rail for all three. But note, some of the Bachmann 0n30 wheels are very small. They might cuse trouble on 0 gauge switches.

[url="[img]
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Posted By tacfoley on 14 Feb 2011 04:59 AM
Posted By EFP&CO on 25 Jan 2011 06:51 AM
Hello!

Somebody in this forum who had converted Bachmann 0n30 up to 0 scale? Think about splitting the underframes and widen to fit 32mm track.

Oddvar

Sir - would you mind very much showing us what you would like to replicate/achieve? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you would want to double the gauge of the track, yet retain the tiny narrow-gauge outline of the rolling stock. I just put a Bachmann 0n30 car on a set of standard gauge trucks, and to say that it looked rather odd would be a kindness.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

He explained it in the third post of this thread..
he simply wants to take small locomotives, which are sold as On30 locomotives, and convert them standard gauge..
to model Norwegian mine locomotives, that were small, built in the USA, but standard gauge..
So the small Bachmann (and the like) On30 locos are a good starting point, they just need to be regauged..
that is all there is to it..

Scot

Scot Lawrence -
Rochester, NY USA
SA #2089
www.scotlawrence.com
Scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks to you all! What I want?, Scot has allready explained; The locos at EFP are called switchers in US, the 0-4-0 saddletankers are not that small 0n30 Bachmann Porter, have seen one brass made 2 rail at Ebay, but the 0-6-0 norwegian-buildt loco was what I thought could be a modified Bachmann loco.
Now I found a Pola Maxi 0-6-0- steamer which is maybe useable :-)
Oddvar
Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Nice picture Juergen/Fritz! The idea with a 3´rd rail may be used, to the 3´gauge Nordag-railway which was build under II WW, and theese trains came into the EFP plant to load the Alumina at Furnace 1.
Have no picts from this, but someone told they used one common rail of the normal-gauge EFP.

Tac: sorry if I bring you headake, should have been "CONVERTING FROM 0N30 TO 0-GAUGE". Bachmann side dump ore-cars looks equal to those we had: 11 ton, load 15 ton, lenght 3,8 metres
EFP had totally 192 cars, the boggie-gondola-cars measured 10,6 metres, weight 22 ton load 30 ton. Most gondolas at E-bay are 70 ton :-( Thats why I think Bachmann must be the solution?
I´m thankful if someone can tell the lenght of Bachmann 0n30 cars :-)
Oddvar You can see pictcs the old unloadingtowers type Morrison , cableroad and the importquay at www.hoyspent.net
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Is this the type of side dump cars you are looking for? Seem that they were used all over this world

[url="[img]
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #19 (permalink)

Wow!! extreemly beautiful indeeed! Wish it looked like that... but the one used by the Electric Furnace Products Ltd was all steel made. Bachmann prod. code 29801 is very close; the chains and the underframe, but not the wooden sides. In 1:48 scale the smallest EFP side tip car should measure 75mm or 15", the largest: 85mm or 17".
Thanks so much Jurgen/Fritz! Yes, it´s still FUN :-)
Oddvar
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hi:

Has anyone mounted standard gauge trucks under the Bachmann J&S coaches?
Trucks used?

Norman
norman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in