On30 Code 83 Diamonds - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default On30 Code 83 Diamonds

Is there a manufacturer of Code 83 crossings or diamonds? I am starting to hand lay track and using ME Code 83 turnouts but I need a 45 deg and possibly a 30 deg crossing. All I need are the rails pre-soldered, i have a good supply of Mt. Albert O-scale ties.

I do have a 45 deg HO crossing but of course the tie spacing and tie size is wrong for 0n30.

If there isn't a manufacturer is there a website with info on hand-builidng corssings?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: On30 Code 83 Diamonds

I don't know of any, but then again, I don't know much about On30 suppliers. What you could do would be to buy the HO crossing, and replace the ties. Do one track at a time to keep everything in alignment.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Pete - I don't know of any either, but you coul (as Ken says) buy an HO diamond. If I were doing it though, rather than lay one track at a time, I'd replace a few of the ties with PC board ties on the bench. Once those are soldered in place, the'll keep the alignment. This would probably only work on crossings with all metal frogs and guardrails though.
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I will answer my on post - sort of. Here is the website for Fast Tracks. They do sell jigs where one can build a variety of angled crossings or diamonds using code 83 rail. I thought they only sold switch or turnout building templates.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/on30-cr...c-6_23_191.php
Old 10-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I was going to bring them up Pete, but figured you wouldn't want to go that route. I can tell you that I bought their jigs for #5 and #6 turnouts and have built a few. The first one took me around two hours, but I can now knock them out in under 45 minutes.

Best of all, these are the SMOOTHEST turnouts I have ever seen!!! Pushing a Bachmann On30 flatcar through with my fingers, I can't feel anything - no dropping of the wheels into the flangeways on the frogs, no jogs at the points - absolutely smooth all the way through. I can't imaging any derailments in these turnouts unless the wheels aren't in gauge.
Dwight Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dwight

I started with On30 ME code 83 turnouts but found they are a bit on the tempremental side. I found the Code 83 rail can easily "pop loose" from the rather small plastic spike heads. I had limited success in getting the rail to re-seat on the plastic ties. I have even resorted to slipping in some Mt Albert O-scale ties and hand spiking the loose rail.

So this weekend I took the plunge and ordered a #4 On30 switch template from Fast Tracks as well as a 45 deg. crossing template. I already have a few hundred feet of ME Code 83 rail. Both templates should arrive by mid-December and I will try my hand at hand-building turnouts. I figure this would be a good way to spend some time off at the holidays and also a way to keep me away from the cookie and candy dish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the myLargescale.com > Community > Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in