myLargescale.com > Community > Forums - View Single Post - Best battery for old Sierra Sound from Soundtraxx

View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
trainstrainstrains

Thank you Michael and Pete for all the valuable information.

In the Sierra owners manual there are instructions for very simply mounting an optional charging jack for the purpose of charging the battery while the system is idle without needing to take apart the loco or the tender. This plugged to a simple wall socket timer and charger seems to me an easy solution for charging batteries adequately but not excessively when the system is idle. Would this be OK?

The super capacitor option sounds extremely interesting , could you please expand on this. How this works, pros and cons, where to buy one and how to install it.

With the formula for determining charging time one could calculate when a 9v battery has reached 6v of charge and never charge it over this point. This way I would not have to change my present setup. I suspect this is not such a good idea. Or is it?

Last edited by trainstrainstrains; 12-04-2014 at 05:37 AM.
trainstrainstrains is offline   Reply With Quote